The Plainfield Co-op Board of Directors governs using the Policy Governance model. This model of governance was developed by John and Miriam Carver. As stated on the Carver's Policy Governance website, this model of governance is "designed to empower boards of directors to fulfill their obligation of accountability for the organizations they govern. As a generic system, it is applicable to the governing body of any enterprise. The model enables the board to focus on the larger issues, to delegate with clarity, to control management's job without meddling, to rigorously evaluate the accomplishment of the organization; to truly lead its organization."
The International Policy Governance Association also has extensive information about Policy Governance.
The Policies were created to support the Ends of the Co-op. The Ends are:
The Plainfield Co-op will :
1. Distribute healthy, affordable food and other goods
2. Actively seek local producers and growers, and support the local and regional economy.
3. Sustain the environment through its operations and the products it offers.
4. Increase awareness of cooperative principles and of other cooperative businesses.
5. Foster awareness about the quality and source of our fo od.
6. Build connections that are essential for a vibrant community.